2018-06-28 / Island History

ISLAND HISTORY

Following the town council’s emergency declaration, which allowed it to take action on an item not on the agenda, the members voted unanimously to prohibit swimming from the East Ferry docks, The Jamestown Press reported July 1, 2004.

Since the warm weather arrived, teenagers have commandeered a float in the harbor to use as a swimming dock. The council, however, quashed that pastime because of dangers associated with boating traffic.

100 years ago — June 28, 1918 (Newport Mercury)

Sixteen students from the grammar school were presented with diplomas by George Carr, chairman of the school committee. Seated on the stage alongside Carr were Clovis Mitchell, superintendent of schools, and Leonora Parsonage, principal.

Catharine Carr, winner of the scholarship medal, read an essay that emphasized the need for a service club in town.

75 years ago — July 2, 1943 (Newport Mercury)

The Bay View Hotel, which is the largest building in town, has been sold by James O’Connell to Manuel Silvia, a Howland Avenue resident.

Silvia said he plans to operate the restaurant in connection with lodging, although he will not open the dining room while the wartime food rationing is in effect.

O’Connell bought the Bay View, which was built by Adolphus Knowles in 1899, from the Newport Savings Bank in 1934.

50 years ago — June 28, 1968 (Newport Daily News)

Geoffrey Williams, sailing aboard his ketch Sir Thomas Lipton, was the first man to cross the Narragansett Bay finish line following the single-handed transatlantic race from Plymouth, England. The 25-year-old sailed 3,000 miles across the ocean in record time, completing the race in 25 days, 20 hours and 30 minutes.

25 years ago — July 1, 1993 (The Jamestown Press)

Former Councilwoman Mary Meagher’s mother is suing the town after she was hurt walking at the intersection of Narragansett and Southwest avenues.

According to her attorney at Levesque Law Offices, Elizabeth Meagher was “injured when she stepped into a hole that had been overgrown by grass and impossible to see. Apparently, the hole had been used for the stop sign at the corner.”

10 years ago — July 2, 2008 (The Jamestown Press)

The town councilors voted to uphold the water restrictions on commercial boat washing from July through September. The decision followed a request by Conanicut Marine to suspend this ban unless the reservoir capacity is in jeopardy.

The councilors, however, heeded advice from the public works director, Steve Goslee, who urged the town to lean toward the conservative side.

Return to top